QuickBooks Online has two environments - Sandbox and Production. Real QuickBooks accounts (including Free Trials) may only connect to a Production QuickBooks online app, and the Sandbox environment can only connect to QuickBooks Online Sandbox Companies.
To allow you to test and validate your integration, Codat makes it possible to connect to the QuickBooks Sandbox in both our UAT and Production environments, alongside Live QuickBooks in our Production environment. It is not possible to connect real 'Live' accounts to our UAT environment
Production / Live
- Visit https://developer.intuit.com/ and sign in or create an account.
- When you're logged in, in the top navigation select 'Dashboard'
You can reuse a previously created app, or create a new one
To create a new app:
- Select + Create an app.
- Select 'QuickBooks Online & Payments' and enter your app name.
- Under Select a scope, select Accounting, and then select Create App.
Once you have created your app, or clicked on an existing one, under the 'Development' menu on the left hand menu, choose 'Keys & OAuth':
- Under the 'Redirect URIs' section, click 'Add URI'
- If you want to connect to QuickBooks Sandbox from Codat UAT (your account is at app-uat.codat.io), enter the URI
- If you want to connect to QuickBooks Sandbox from Codat Production (your account is at app.codat.io), enter the URI
Re-using an existing app?
If you wish to use the same app to connect to QuickBooks Online Sandbox from both Codat UAT & Production, or if you are re-using an existing app, be sure to add both URIs as extra values by clicking 'Add URI' as required. Do not delete any existing values here, or any previous connections may no longer work!
- Once you have entered and saved the Redirect URIs, copy your app's client ID and Secret and follow the instructions below to save them in Codat.
- Open the Codat Portal and log in.
- In the left pane, select Integrations > Accounting.
- Scroll down to the QuickBooks Online Sandbox integration and select Manage.
- Choose what type of access to company data you wish to have for this integration: one-off or continuous.
- Enter the Client Id and Client Secret from your QBO Development app, as above.
- Save your settings.
- Enable your integration. Go back to Integrations > Accounting, and use the toggle to update the QuickBooks Online Sandbox integration from Disabled to Enabled.
Testing your integration
To test a connection to QuickBooks Online Sandbox, you will need to have created a Sandbox from the Intuit Developer Portal. You can read about how to do that on their website here
Updated 3 months ago