To push data to Sage 50 (UK), a second user will need to be created in Sage for the company file that you are pushing to. See the section below on how to do this.
If you do don't do this, then both the Sage 50 application and the Codat API will be trying to use the same credentials at the same time. Given Sage 50 is open, no data will be pushed and the following error message will be displayed by Sage:
Codat highly recommends that a separate user is created in Sage 50 to link company data. By creating a separate user that is not used for accessing the Sage 50 application regularly, data will successfully push to Sage 50 even with the application open.
As soon as one of the concurrent logins has ceased i.e. the Sage 50 application is closed or new credentials are used by the connector, then the connector will continue to successfully push the data that has been queued. Note - this does not affect pulling data.
Your client should create a new user within Sage 50 that will be used by Codat's Sage 50 connector. We advise your client to include your company name in the new user's username, to highlight the origin of pushed data to the accountant using Sage 50, and avoid the above error. This can be done in Sage 50 by selecting:
- Settings > Access Rights > New
- Choose a user name and password
- Set Access to 'Full Access'
Choosing a Sage 50 user for the Sage 50 connector
We advise your client to include your company name in the new user's username, to highlight the origin of pushed data to the end user.
- Download the Sage 50 connector and enter the license key to setup the connector.
- In Codat's Sage 50 connector, make sure the 'Data Directory' file path is set to the company you wish to link with. If the user is not sure where their Sage 50 data directory is, please see Finding Your Sage 50 Data Directory for instructions on how to find the data directory.
- Enter the credentials for the specially created user for the Sage 50 connector and NOT the logon that is used to open and use Sage 50 on a daily basis.
- Select Perform sync
- Now you are ready to push data to Sage 50
If a company has an existing Sage 50 connector which has been pulling data from their Sage 50 company file, and pushing data to their company file is now required, then a few more steps are necessary.
If not already done, ensure your client creates a new user (as per above instructions) for their Sage 50 company file. This is to be used exclusively for the connector and should not be the login used by the accountant when accessing Sage 50 on a daily basis.
Open the Sage 50 connector from the tray icon (often found in the bottom right toolbar on a computer running Windows). Do this by right-clicking the connector icon and selecting 'Open Sage 50 Connector'.
Enter the above, newly created user's username and password in the username and password field in the Sage 50 connector.
Finally select Perform sync so that the new user's credentials are used to access the Sage 50 company file for all subsequent syncs.
- If Sage 50 is open during a push operation, then the user may momentarily see a processing dialog. This will remain on the users screen for a longer period of time when the volume of data being pushed is larger.
- If suppliers are being pushed, and the user is logged into Sage 50, then the supplier will not appear in Sage 50 until the page is refreshed.
Refreshing Sage 50 to see pushed suppliers
To refresh the page in Sage 50, you can click the filter in the Suppliers view twice as below. If a supplier has been successfully created then when the page is refreshed the account should appear.
FAQ: Given Sage 50 is closed, and connector is pushing, when I open Sage, can I log in with the same credentials?
The push operation completes as normal and the user can still log into Sage 50 but subsequent pushes will not succeed as the same credentials are being used. Therefore a second user should always be created.
Subsequent pushes will succeed once 1) the Sage 50 application is closed, or 2) new user credentials are entered in the connector, or 3) the user logs into Sage 50 with credentials different to those currently entered into the connector and used to link.
You may experience unexpected behaviour if the Sage 50 application does not have Foreign Trader enabled and data is pushed that includes currency that does not equal the company's base currency.
For example, if a company's base currency is GBP and a bill is pushed into Sage 50 via the Codat API with a currency of USD, then no payments will be able to be made against this bill (as the company accounts are all in GBP) until Foreign Trader is enabled.
Updated 6 months ago